Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!
Question: “Do thrift stores have Black Friday sales?”
Answer: It depends.
Some thrift stores will have special sales and discounts on Black Friday. In fact, some stores will offer as much as 50 percent off that day. But other thrift stores are only going to offer their regular discounts, which are still pretty good deals. So it’s a good idea to call around and see which thrift stores are offering Black Friday deals in your town.
But whether you’re planning on shopping Black Friday or right after you’ve eaten your Thanksgiving dinner, here are a few shopping tips to keep in mind.
1. Make a budget. – Before you head out to the stores, decide ahead of time how much you want to spend and be determined to stick to your budget.
2. Plan your trip. – Map out ahead of time which stores you plan to visit that day. This will help you to save time and gas.
3. Visit thrift stores, consignment stores first. – Before going to the big box department and discount stores, try visiting the thrift stores and consignment shops first. You just might see a gift that’s perfect for 70-80 percent or more off the retail price. If you don’t see anything that you like, then you can always move on to the big box stores later.
4. Bring your smart phone. – With your smart phone, you can go online to look up the names of designers, use shopping apps to compare prices and follow stores on Twitter for announcements about special deals and discounts.
5. Bring water and comfortable shoes. – Shopping on Black Friday is part marathon and part sprint, so be prepared and bring all the items you’ll need to feel comfortable while you shop. Bottled water, comfortable shoes are good to have on hand. Bring a snack if you plan to skip eating out.
6. Wear the right clothing. – If you plan to try on clothes when you shop, wear clothing that you can get in and out of easily and shoes that you can slip on and off without a hassle.
7. Shop with a buddy. – When you shop with others, you can work together to spot more deals in the stores. I like shopping with others especially when I’m looking at clothes because sometimes the other person will see an outfit on a rack that I haven’t looked through yet.
8. Be ready to wait. – If you do plan to shop at some of the big box stores, look for at least 30 percent off before you buy. You want to get the lowest prices that you can and that might mean going back to the store in a week or two when the price for an item will probably be lower.
9. Shop online – There are a number of online thrift stores today, as well as places like ebay and Etsy where you can find great deals on used and preloved clothing, jewelry, electronics, collectibles and other items. In addition, there are some big box stores that sometimes offer better deals online than they do in the stores.
10. Pay attention to where you park. – On one episode of “Seinfeld,” the characters get lost inside a parking garage. It's a very funny episode. Not so funny when it happens to you. If you choose to go to a mall or shopping center outlet, when you get out of your car, take a moment to look around and spot landmarks so that you'll know where your car is when you leave the store.
Got some Black Friday tips that you would like to share? Tell us in the comments section below.
Here are some other posts you might like!